guess what i made!
for the pastry:
375g plain flour
pinch of salt
125g butter, diced
milk, for brushing
800g pitted fresh cherries
50g sugar plus extra for sprinkling
2 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
nutmeg (on recipe but i didn't use...)
1. soft flour & salt into a bowl. rub in the butter til mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. add 2 tbsp of water and stir in. keep adding til mix is firm and sticks together. knead and roll into a ball, wrap in plastic then chill for 20 mins. preheat oven to 200 degrees, gas mark 6.
2. mix cherries with cornstarch and sugar and spices. mix well.
3. divide pastry in two, one larger than the other. roll out flat and line your pie pan (should fit one approx 20cm wide x 4cm deep). spoon mixture into the middle and brush milk on the edges.
4. roll out remaining pastry to make the lid. if there's any left over, use it to make cute decorations (like i did, hah. the star was a biscuit cutter but the swallow was hand cut!). trim the edges and crimp or score the edges to seal.
5. brush with milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 45 mins or until golden.
so delicious! i had mine warm from the over with a splash of cream.
i've jazzed up the layout slightly, hope it looks good on everyones screens. we've gained a few more members but it'd be nice if there was a bit more action so please promote to friends you think may be interested!